10.15.2009

oscar, dorothy, don, betty and plaster


Walking past an Oscar de la Renta store recently, I was struck by the fantastic plaster palm trees that were installed along one wall. I've long been an admirer of plaster work, especially in a palm tree motif.




I dream of my own dressing room where I could have these torchieres flanking a tall smoked mirror....but I digress.


I am not alone in my adoration for plaster; the fairy godmother of plaster was the reknowned decorator of all decorators, Dorothy Draper.

Admittedly, my library lacks proper literature on the career of DD so I decided to google 'Dorothy Draper + Plaster' and I hit a bountiful jackpot of information.

At the top of the list was Paris Hotel's synopsis of one of Draper's most famous projects, The Greenbrier Hotel located in West Virginia.




Bubblegum pinks, bright greens and plenty of plaster sconces and moldings envelope this cheerful and decadently delicious hotel.



Tyler, may we visit for a Found fieldtrip? I am certain we will leave inspired.

Can't you picture some wonderful brainstorming taking place at Draper's Cafe?



The resort was remodeled in 2007 but rumor has it that Mr. Varney, DD's protege, did an exceptional job.




Another wonderful discovery happened this morning. When I searched 'Dorothy + Plaster', I came across a new favorite blog and its subject includes all of the Drapers in my life.





Alluding to the style of Mad Men as a "tip of the pillbox hat to Dorothy Draper, the most influential designer of that era", he included this original photograph of Draper's design for a guest room at the Greenbrier in a recent post.



Even though the design of the Greenbrier Hotel began in 1946 and Mad Men takes place in the early sixties, one can see how Ms. Draper's decorative style influenced interior design decades later (and still today).




Serendipitously, the blog's author also captured Betty's incredible look while visiting Rome in the episode before last.



Thank you, Mr. Whitman, for providing a wonderful visual for our readers to understand our apt description of our latest mirror.



-Caitlin

*images of the Greenbrier Resort and Mad Men are graciously borrowed from Paris Hotel Boutique and Footnotes of Mad Men

1 comment:

Mummy said...

Pleeease include me if a field trip is planned!