11.11.2009

abstract love

I've been on the hunt for art.


I'm looking for something graphic, abstract and moody. A piece that makes the space.

Like so...



As I shop around, I keep coming back to these mid-century-esque abstracts. I wonder why? Perhaps I like inventing my own synopsis of whats happening on a canvas...yes, that must be it.

Tyler and I have named one of our treasures, 'A Landscape Perfect for your Cabin in Tahoe'.
And it certainly is.

It is what it looks like when the snow melts before things get pretty.



Maybe I am loving abstracts because of their perfect disheveled-ness. I love the juxtaposition of a composed and highly orchestrated room with the looseness that an abstract provides.

The photograph below illustrates this idea well. Why not pair a sixties abstract with an Hermes throw even if it is for your toddler son?

Oh, Kelly you tempt us so.




Or perhaps it is the interplay of color that keeps bringing me back to the abstract? Sometimes the color combos are almost nostalgic.

'Rainbow Sherbert on a Canvas' (image below) reminds me of warm summer nights when your behavior was good enough to be rewarded with a trip to Baskin Robbins.

Oh the good old days.


Or as this vignette starring Celerie Kemble shows us, everything is more perfect with that 'pop' of color positioned on the wall behind her.

Orange would be a great color on you, Celerie.



I also love how messy abstracts often have texture thats not so smooth. Our Bachman reminds me of what it would be like to walk on the moon.



I find abstracts almost always mimic nature. This fabulous living room (I've already expressed my love for this project) designed by Amy Lau is all about what is happening on the other side of those floor-to-ceiling windows. She did an excellent job at bridging the gap between the inside and out. The art above the fireplace plays an important part in this.

I can't think of a better piece to have installed.



I hate to say we have a look-alike here, but we do.



'Brown Reconsidered'
$375; 41"w x 29"h

-Caitlin

3 comments:

Courtney said...

That first painting is one of my favorite in the shop! Oh how I miss Found!

Found said...

oh and we miss you courtney....miss you so.

designgod said...

a visionary, that is all i can say for this "caitlin"