9.10.2009

The Dilemma of an Enormous Mattress

A reader recently sent us an email asking a very important question.

Tyler and Caitlin,I wanted to say how much I enjoy your emails! Especially now that they are more "blog entries" than just listing new items. I've actually learned a lot about style and decor.If you have time, could you help me with a problem, or perhaps address it on your blog? I bought a new queen mattress, which is SWEET and comfortable, but it's also really huge and dominates the room. The mattress is one of those "pillow top" ones, and is fifteen inches deep. In all, the frame, box spring, and mattress are 33" high! Whereas my prior mattress was approximately level with my side tables, my current mattress is about a foot above. It makes it awkward to take a sip of water! What do you do when you face this situation? do people use bed frames or setups that account for super thick mattresses? Or are tall beds just the new thing? Alternatively, I guess I could get tall side tables... Also, I'm getting tired of climbing into bed like I'm five years old.What do you think? I greatly appreciate your help!

Fondly,

'Enormous Mattress'

Dear E.M.,

This is a common predicament that many of us find ourselves in and I am so happy that you inquired about just what to do. Pillow-y mattresses are so hard to resist (who wouldn't want to sleep on a cloud?) but they often leave you in a bedside dilemma when the bed is delivered and everything in your room resembles Lily Tomlin in 'The Incredible Shrinking Woman'. I have put some thought to your situation and have a few ideas.

Go Down Under

Does your new bed consist of a mattress, boxspring and an unsightly metal frame? Well, that less than beautiful metal frame may be the secret to your success. There are two sizes offered and you can swap out yours for a lower profile version. This will give you a 3" gain (or loss depending on how you are looking at it). You can also remove those little wheels that are attached to the legs, which also helps subtract from your overall height. Just make sure you put something underneath the metal legs or else your floors will incur some serious damage. I've seen it and it ain't pretty.

Desks Aren't Just For Homework

E.M., may I ask the height of your current bedside tables? If they are low-ish, you may want to consider an UP-grade. A little trick us designers like to do (and something I learned from my very favorite designer/hero) is to place a desk adjacent to your bed rather than a shorter bedside table. Desk height is a standard 29", perfect for a bedside surface when you are an owner of a tall bed. Incorporating this unexpected piece into your bedroom helps you avoid the dreaded matchy-matchy-room, a room in which the bedside tables match the dresser which match the bed....eeks! The photo below illustrates this concept beautifully. Don't you just love the variety of furnishings that create this wonderfully subdued and sophisticated bedroom? Do you spy the desk on the right side of the bed? Lesson learned: Desks in the bedroom (just like a fortune cookie says) are cool.


Speaking of desks, we have an adorable small desk that would be absolutely perfect cozied up to a bed....maybe even yours E.M.?



Tall Lighting is Your Friend

I know I have already written about the virtues of incorporating tall lighting into your life but here I go again. Having tall lamps will balance the relationship between your mattress height and bedside tables.

In this photo, Miles Redd masterfully pairs lower bedside tables (so low you can't even see them) with a tall framed bed and the height discrepancy between the two lends a wonderful playfulness to the room. Do you see how your eye, once it has gotten past the amazing De Gournay papered walls and ballgown window treatments, travels to the height of the lamps? The height of the bed beckons tall friends to keep it company, don't you think? Oh, if only furniture could talk.



Enormous Mattress, I do hope that I have answered your question and one of these ideas works for you. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do and if you are in need of some bedside tables or lamps, you know where to come!

-Caitlin

No comments: