3.26.2009

round rugs

Maybe because it finally feels like spring here in San Francsico, but I am really want to inject some spring-time vibes into my apartment. Kind of like cleaning out your closet and packing away your winter sweaters, I want to freshen things up and add new elements that coordinate with the bright sunshine pouring in our windows. One element that I am considering incorporating is a round rug. I've been spotting them in some of the design magazines and they add such a great vibe to a room. Some designers incorporate them to encircle a grouping of furniture within a larger space. New York designer, Celerie Kemble does with a dining area she creates in this project. The dining area is shared with the apartment's formal living room so by layering a round area rug beneath the dining room furnishings she creates a room within a room. I love the colors and stripes of this rug and because it's a more casual floor treatment it balances the more fussy-ish chairs and the darkness of the banquette upholstery.

One of our favorite designers, Tom Sheerer, also incorporates a round rug into a design of den in a country home of a client. This rug feels familiar to me, kind of macrame-esque, a little hippy (in the best sense). Yet because of it's graphic look, with the dark charcoal and crisp white stripes, the room is bright and chic (not dusty and beige plant holder-esque). Also, the shape and weave of the rug is welcoming, totally UN-intimidating. Mr. Scheerer is quoted as comparing round rugs to hugs. "It's like extending arms, an invitation to literally gather around", he states in the April issue of House Beautiful. I certainly want to gather!

Now, I definitely want one. Our apartment is pretty colorful already so I am thinking that I may need a solid version. I spotted this one over the weekend.....hello summer!
-Caitlin

2 comments:

J4J said...

so funny - this is the second adorable Celerie K. room I've seen today. Did you see this from coco+kelley? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j5uXA05vVzc/ScpfxdC4Y9I/AAAAAAAAChk/0XUfuTjZli0/s1600-h/home+office+inspirations.jpg

Found said...

no, but i love those colors!