3.10.2009

Books. Books. Books.






Lately, I have been paying attention to bookcases. You see, I love books. I love looking at them, sometimes even more than even reading them (dependent on genre). It is interesting to me to see how varied the approaches are in displaying one's collection. As a decorator, I am often asked to help clients arrange their bookshelves to achieve a more stylized look. I love this task but I recognize that my method is different than others. There are many wonderful ways to go about showcasing your collection. It is entirely up to you. I prefer to see things a little more 'un-designed', as if you finished a book and put it on your shelf and then moved on. I recognize one runs the risk of the books looking a little disorganized or cluttered but I guess I like that risk. I like it to (hopefully) feel like someone is really reading those books, not just looking at them.



Like so.





Or this image. I especially love stacks of books, like beneath the miniature topiary.






I'm often asked how one should go about including objects into their bookcases. My answer is to think about what you are displaying and why. Round objects look great adjacent to a leaning wall of books, like say a ceramic vase. This one is from our shop and adds great dimension to your collection of books.




Another idea is to introduce unusual shapes into your arrangement of books. These feathered beauties are a nice juxtaposition to the rectangular shape of books, offering up some curves and softness to the linear-ity (is that a word?) of a standard bookcase. These birds are also available at Found.





Below is a lovely installation of books and rustic objects by designer, Victoria Hagan. Notice how she has selected books that have a worn feel to coordinate with the aged finishes of the sculpture and boxes. She has also grouped the books and objects by color (more about that in a moment).





Another way to commence the book arranging process, is to group your spines by color and arrange them accordingly. I think this is a very interesting process, not only because the end product gives you a kaleidescopic library but it can be cool to see what books end up next to one another. Judy Blume adjacent to Steinbeck.....the irony!


This bookcase is arranged by color but it's messiness (that is a compliment!) allows it to feel approachable. I like!






Or like our friend and fellow designer, Chloe Warner, demonstrates with the book arrangements in her own home, color coding can be serene. Serene-ly organized!





What do you like? How do you arrange your books? Do tell.
-Caitlin

No comments: