4.06.2009

tall drinks of water

You may have noticed that Tyler and I have an affinity for tall unusual lamps. We both love to incorporate larger scale lamps in our own designs and have enjoyed collecting them to sell in our shop.


Lately, I have noticed that sometimes folks get a little intimidated by the more statuesque lamps. They see lamps that measure 36", 40" and even 48" (!!!) tall and wonder how in the heck they can integrate them into their own home or office. Personally, one of my very favorite places to work with loftier lamps is on the bedside table. They add panache to a sleepy or serious table and their tall profiles can be a wonderfully whimsical addition to a bedroom. My sense is that everyone needs a light to read when they are cozied up in bed, so why not make that come from something interesting?!


A designer, Molly Luetkemeyer, exemplifies this mantra perfectly in this fabulously technicolored room. Don't these blue ceramic beauties look fantastic with the bold 70's wallpaper? I think so! They add the perfect punch to the room. Kudos Molly!



Jonathan Adler, a designer I am sure you are all aware of by now, is also a fan of the tall guy (maybe not Simon but his lamps sure are). In a Guest Room at the Parker Hotel in Palm Springs (he designed the entire compound that lucky guy!) he introduces a masculine mid-century shape to the bedroom scenario. These brownish 'gourd-y' lamps look brilliant next to the slim profile contemporary bed. The darker finish is perfect in the all white room; it adds just enough darkness to the vibe and the pair have a height that's perfectly adjacent to the stacked pillows.



Here at Found, we had these similar lamps that were recently sold to an amazingly talented designer. We can't wait to see how she incorporated them into her design!



Currently, I am working on a project in Manhattan Beach and put my love of tall lamps to work. My clients purchased bedside tables from WS Home for their Master Bedroom. In order to give them a bit more interest, I directed them to our vintage offerings at Found. They fell in love with these babies and we all agreed they would look fabulous on either side of their sumptuous bed.


The installation of the room is a few weeks off but I will be sure to post some photos so you can see the interplay of the lamps, bed and bedside tables.

Readers, what I hope you take from this post is that if you feel like your bedside lighting is a little lackluster, don't fret. Adding tall boys to your bedroom set-up is an easy way to make your bedroom sing and shine!

2 comments:

Sylvie said...

I have to admit, I have a lamp fetish :)
Such a pleasure meeting you both in Alameda Sunday. Here is a link to a photo that shows the "baby" lamp (far right)to the oversized one you got from me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sosylvie/1767806325/in/set-72157600044290098/

J4J said...

You kids are the best.